Engineer by designation, Musician by definition

Engineer by designation, Musician by definition

Tashya's Ink

Tashya's Ink
My band

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Random thoughts...

It's Thursday morning, 12.30am. I can't sleep yet so I thought of writing something. Things have been awesome since my last post. Music wise that is. My day job still sucked. But I'm won't go into detail about that.

Last weekend I went into the recording studio called The Ark in Taman Tun Dr Ismail to record our first 2 songs, Yang Ku Mahu and HU. I was really excited cos its been awhile since I did my last recording, which sucked big time. So to go into a professional recording studio is somewhat a first actually. We started off recording the guide track first, just Tashya on the acoustic guitar. After that settled, we recorded the drum tracks for both songs. I admire my drummer's attitude. He won't stop until he gets it right and I think everyone in the band was really amazed by his awesome grooves and rolls. He has totally given Tashya's Ink a new beat and feel. The drums he did on both songs, simply epic! You don't need to have a record in some record books to be an awesome drummer. What matters is the attitude and believe in the band's direction and songs. Something our previous drummer lacks by a mile. Wan is totally opposite of Jone. And best part, Wan is funny, a bit reserved and totally not annoying. He gives the best one liners. But the important part is, he is very humble. I thank god that we manage to find him. I can write about how we found him but I'm too lazy to type. Let's just say, somehow it was destined. And I hope we last long.

Next up, Mr Ike on the bass. I've known Ike for 5 years now. Not really close friends back then. We jammed once before a few years back and even then, I thought this guy is an awesome musician. His bass lines, his groove, his style, amazing. So when he agreed to be part of the band, we were ecstatic. It turns out, he fits well with us. Which was never a doubt to me anyway. He brings somewhat a fresh sound to our songs. Not to say Nakim wasn't awesome (which he is) but Ike just gives a different dimension. Anyway, back to recording. He did his basslines within one hour. That says alot about him. Everything just fell into place. I love his bassline on Yang Ku Mahu. Actually, I just love his basslines in all the songs we play. And like Wan, he is humble, funny, honest and most importantly, shares the same passion and drive as Tashya and me. Again, I thank god he's on our side.

Next up, it was my turn. I was quite nervous at first but I grew in confidence by the minute. I stopped thinking whether this part or that part is gonna work. I just felt the songs. And I have to say, I'm very proud of what I manage to contribute to the songs. One of the best works I've done. I will forever remember this recording session for years to come. Its great to finally have great people with the same idea and passion as you are. It just makes things easier. I believe that the band is not just a band, but family. We've really bonded in a short time. Especially between me and Tashya. I feel that I've finally understand how she operates. What she wants in a song. I think we've developed a great understanding and respect for one another. I haven't had this kind of chemistry in a long time. I hope we can continue to write great songs in the future.

This Friday, Tashya will be going into the studio to record her vocals. I've known Tashya quite sometime now. And by far, she has been the most talented singer/songwriter I have ever worked with. Unique in every way you can imagine. Her style changes from one genre to another. Jazz, Blues, Pop, Alternative, Rock....you name it. Its no surprise that she was the winner of MyStarz LG back in 2007. I have nothing but good things to say about her. Simply, for lack of a better word, awesome! And I know in my heart that once she gets into her 'zone', she will make our songs sound even more awesome. I hope the world will say the same thing.

So....I think I ended up writing too much. I guess I'll stop here then...Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment